2011-08-27

This is now, that was then

I lived my life without a conscience,
woke up when I was young, and somehow lost it,
allowed me to go on a pretty wild ride,
allowed me to live, the darker side of life.

I was responsible for 400 plants of weed,
I associated with people who for a living broke knees,
I've committed armed robberies,
I was a creator of negativity,
all because I didn't care about me.

You love me now, but you wouldn't have back then,
carried a gun, alongside my pen,
I've said it once, and I'll say it again,
my life was filled with complete darkness.
It all shaped me into who I am,
this is now, and that was then.

Hard, like a little stone,
frigid, to the touch I was cold.
I didn't care about you, or anybody else,
the world had screwed me, is how I felt.
Needlessly creating an environment of hatred,
to the next day, I didn't care if I made it.

Constantly living full of rage and hate,
choosing to live in anger every day,
stripped of life, from the onset of birth,
struggled to find my worth, and position on this earth.

© Steve Bertrand aka. stevieb 20110825

6 comments:

  1. Used for dVerse 'Poetics - Changes' night. Although this isn't about a single change, it encapsulates from a high-level overview of how I went from the darkest of the dark into the loving lightworker I am constantly working on becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice...i can relate in some ways...there were about 3 years of my life that i walked the dark...sex, drugs, violence and rock and roll...i wonder what people would have thought of me then that know me now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also can relate...during my teenage years, i completely lost my way..like bri above..sex, drugs..lots of grace that i am where and who i am now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful,

    Glad to see you walk through those dark moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have pure pleasant youth and life,

    But, I can sense your pain and the joy of rediscovering life's meaningfulness.


    A thought provoking piece, well penned.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you made it into the light like some of the rest of us - there are less that do than don't - we are the lucky ones, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete